Applying for the first time - online
Register your details at https://iptaas.enable.health.nsw.gov.au/
An IPTAAS patient ID will be allocated to you. Use this ID to lodge your application online
- Have your referring practitioner complete Form 5. Referral details for online users, and attach this to your online application
- Have your appointment information ready. Complete your personal details including bank account information. Provide treatment, travel and accommodation details
- Scan or photograph your travel and accommodation invoices and attach this to your online application
- Submit your application.
Applying for the first time - paper based
Have your doctor complete the referral details part of the IPTAAS form
- Complete Form 1. Application for travel and accommodation assistance, including:
- Eligibility and patient details
- Treatment details
- Payment details
- Travel and accommodation details
- If you need to stay more than two nights before or after your appointment have your practitioner or health service complete the practitioner or health service declaration
- Sign the patient declaration and submit your application form, and any applicable travel or accommodation invoices, to your local IPTAAS office.
What travel costs can I claim?
IPTAAS will reimburse you for travel costs associated with your treatment, including air travel if you need to fly for medical reasons.
Before you fly, you must ask your referring doctor or treating practitioner to get an air approval code. This code is recorded on your application and will ensure that you receive the full cost (excluding GST) back for your flights.
If you choose to fly and do not have an air approval code, IPTAAS will either reimburse you at the same rate as private car travel (for the distance between your home and the treatment address) or the cost of the flight
(excluding GST) - whichever is the lesser amount.
You may receive the following reimbursements:
- 22 cents per kilometre for private car travel
- Full reimbursement for public transport (minus GST)
- Full reimbursement for approved air travel (minus GST)
- Taxi reimbursement at the following maximum rate:
- 1 day appointment: maximum $20
- 2 - 7 day appointment: maximum $40
- 8 - 14 day appointment: maximum $80
- 15 or more days appointment: maximum $160.
What are the accommodation subsidies?
Private accommodation: If staying with a relative or friend, you and your escort carer may be eligible for a subsidy of:
- $20 per night regardless of the number of nights you stay (or $40 per night if you are staying with your escort).
- Private stay $20 per night per person.
- For accommodation subsides booked through hosting sites please click here for more information
Not-for-profit accommodation: If you are staying in a not-for-profit organisation, for the first seven nights in a financial year you will be reimbursed at:
- $43 per night for single occupancy (or $60 per night if you are staying with your escort)
- Additional nights during the same financial year will be reimbursed at $65 per night for single occupancy (or $85 per night if you are staying with your escort).
For-profit accommodation (per financial year):
- One to seven nights: $43 per night for single occupancy (or $60 per night if you are staying with your escort)
- Eight to fourteen nights: $80 per night for single occupancy (or $105 per night if you are staying with your escort)
- Fifteen nights plus: $105 per night for single occupancy (or $120 per night if you are staying with your escort).
Joe Smith attends radiotherapy treatment. Mr Smith chooses to stay at a for profit (commercial) facility during his treatment.
For the first seven nights of Mr Smith's stay, he is entitled to a subsidy of $60 per night because he is travelling with his escort.
For the last two nights, Mr Smith is entitled to $105 per night because he is travelling with an escort.
7 nights @ $60/night = $420
2 nights @ $105/night = $210
Total subsidy = $630.
What type of treatment can I claim travel and accommodation assistance for?
IPTAAS will provide travel and accommodation assistance for eligible patients who need to travel long distances for specialist medical treatment, to a highly specialised Allied
Health Clinic, or to an approved Prosthetist/Orthotist.
To be eligible for assistance through IPTAAS, you must be receiving treatment:
- from an approved specialist medical practitioner
- at one of the approved Allied Health Clinics, or
- from an approved Prosthetist/Orthotist, as defined by IPTAAS.